Thursday, August 14, 2014

To Kildare Town

Our last pilgrimage day was eventful, and pleasantly so.  We began with a short walk through the Pollardstown Fen Nature Reserve.  I frequently visit a wetland reserve near our home in Maryland, the Battle Creek Cypress Sanctuary, so it was fun to compare the climate, plants, and wildlife at these two, actually very similar preserves.







And onward into the Curragh!




This is the world-renowned Curragh Racecourse.


The springy turf evidently brings out the best in racehorses.


We were joined at the Curragh by the Brigidine Sisters who had tales to tell.  


After that, it was on to Kildare Town.  



We were greeted in central Kildare Town with fanfare, lovely harp music, and refreshments.  The excellent harper was shy and preferred not to be photographed from the front.


And after that, there was more on the program.  I was thrilled to visit the site Brigid's Fire Temple, an ancient, well-loved site.  There are many visitors each day, and ritual is still held here.



I waited for the crowd to go on to something else, then took my camera down into the site.






And on to another Brigid's Well.



The erudite and gracious Sister Phil tending the well environs.


I said my goodbyes to the group at this well since I was offered a ride into town where I could catch a bus to Dublin.  I was ready to leave the group at that point, but I knew I'd formed some lasting connections to people, the land, and Brigid Herself.

Perhaps the greatest lesson of the Pilgrimage was the discovery that even though things were not happening as they should, I could still enjoy what was around me and have an absolutely spectacular time.  I do not at all regret this journey, although I will not be traveling again with the same group.  But if I'd gone a different way, I wouldn't have met Deborah -- and Lee-Anne -- and John -- and Anthea -- and Sister Phil -- and -- and...

May Brigid's blessing of peace be with you.  



No comments:

Post a Comment