Thursday, August 14, 2014

Hill of Tara

The Hill of Tara traditionally was the seat of the Irish High Kings.  To this day, it is regarded by many as holy ground.  I feel privileged to have participated in ritual on Tara rather than just seeing the sights, fascinating and important as they are. 
 
  
 
 


The Wishing Tree, a cloutie (cloth) tree.  Petitioners approach this tree with a particular intention, pray for its fulfillment, and then leave tie a cloth item to a branch, perhaps as an offering or simply as an act that traditionally seals the wish.  These are present at many, if not most shrines.  I have seen socks, infant and toddler garments, scarves, and even shoes hanging on cloutie trees.

  

One of our leaders told us that this beautiful hawthorn tree was associated with the Fae (fairies).  I simply admired its beauty and remembered its association with Merlin, but other pilgrims found it that it inspired a spirit of merriment and gymnastic fun.


Climbing to the summit for ritual.  The strikingly beautiful woman in the white robe and purple cape is a Druid, Annette, who lead us in ritual.  Turned out that we are members of the same Druid order, the Order of Bards, Ovates, and Druids (OBOD); she is considerably more advanced than I am.  After the ritual concluded and she blessed us, I was asked to step out and give Annette a blessing.   I was honored and hope I didn't fumble it too badly.   


 

This is the Lia Fail or Stone of Destiny, rumored to roar when it is touched by the true sovereign of Tara.  Legend has it that all Irish kings were crowned at this stone up until 500 C.E.   Local lore sees it as a place to solidify intentions.  We were encouraged to put our hands on the top and walk around it three times at arm's length while we visualized meeting our goals.  I have incorporated this into a visualization that I do every day now. 


Deborah at the passage tomb known as the Mound of the Hostages.




Deb and me at Maguire's restaurant.



What finally solved my foot troubles.


No comments:

Post a Comment