Sunday, August 10, 2014

Onward to Newgrange!

The Neolithic-era passage monument, Newgrange, is situated in the valley of the beautiful River Boyne.


 

Ted and I visited this amazing place on our honeymoon in 1982, well before the Visitor Center was complete.  Given the number of visitors this most famous of passage tombs has every year, I could see where such a structure was necessary and felt that the design fit very well into the landscape.  The interior was artificially illuminated, and unfortunately, my photos did not come out well.  However, the passage and chamber are decorated very similarly with gorgeous, timeless stone spirals, whorls, and other markings. 


 Entrance to the passage and chamber.  At the Winter Solstice, they are completely illuminated by the winter sunlight.  So many people want to see this phenomenon that the choice is by lottery.  The ticket hopefuls span the entire world. 

 



It seemed even more mysterious and magnificent than I remembered.  Our guide graciously allowed us time in the chamber to circle.  We took turns contributing thoughts, prayers, poems, and wishes, including a safe and easy birth for the twins our guide was expecting in three months.  My contribution was a song, my own "Spirits of the Land."  I will never forget singing my love for the earth here in this ancient holy place.




 





No comments:

Post a Comment