Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Miscellaneous Dublin Fun

Here are some other highlights of my few days in Dublin's fair city.   I missed some of the obvious stuff -- e.g., Trinity College, tour of Dublin Castle, the Guiness Brewery -- because we saw those on our first trip to Ireland, honeymoon 1982.

No photos allowed, I'm afraid, for the Chester Beatty Library near Dublin Castle with its wonderful light and extensive collection of manuscripts, ancient books, and decorative items.  I visited during an exhibition of sacred writings from the Islamic and Judeo-Christian traditions.  I am a fool for such things, and I was staggered at the collection, believing it to rival even the British Library in London.  So amazing that these inks made of ground stones and flowers are there for us to see after millennia.  The talent, devotion, and sometimes wit and originality of the anonymous makers often leap out in surprising ways.  My unfamiliarity with any Eastern language meant that I missed that in the Islamic section, but a close look at the manuscripts made me suspect they were there.  The borders were particularly ornate.  The passionate display of faith inspired me to take a look at some related writings in the bookstore.  I am very happy to have discovered Rumi's poetry as a result of this visit.  
 

Nearly everyone is likely to enjoy a visit to Dublinia, a multi-dimensional salute to Dublin's Viking origins.  The museum features dioramas and interactive displays aimed at visitors of varied national origin and English comprehension.  





I also made a brief visit to Christ Church Cathedral which adjoined Dublinia.  At the time of my visit, a spectacular men's chorus was rehearsing near the center of the church.  Visitors were treated to renditions of Inspirational Lite ("When you WALK through the STORM/ hold your HEAD... up... high..."), but their blend and resonance were truly superb. 

An Earth Box in a cathedral!  








No comments:

Post a Comment